This blog has moved. Please update your bookmarks.

Creating New Languages?

Just as I was about to fall asleep last night, my mind drifted away and got caught in the possibility of creating a new language. No, not a computer language, a real language.

It's interesting, because once you decide to create something entirely new, you're free to borrow any grammatical construct - or entirely invent your own - that suits you. And you're absolutely free to create any words you like, based on how they sound or generally appeal to you. I think J.R.R. Tolkien had the same feelings when he created his Elfish languages.

Maybe something like "E thi loriannen" could mean, for instance, "I love you". Obviously, "e" means "I", "thi" means "you"; indicating that the linguistic constructs form a sentence structure of subject-object-verb, kind of like a Japanese sentence form. "Loria" would mean the noun "love"; "lorian" would be the verb form, "to love"; and "loriannen" would indicate present-tense continual action. "Lorianna" would be past completed tense, "loriei" would mean future tense - "I will love you".

Choosing a grammatical structure so heavily inspired from Japanese necessitates a rich flora of particles with which the meaning of the nouns and verbs can be altered or modified. "E thi ai loriannen" means "I love you too", whereas "E thi aki loriannen" means "I don't love you". Of course, this could also be stated "E thi lorianna" - "I loved you", or very simply "aki loriannen" - "don't love".

Furthermore, it's interesting to ponder other grammatical constructs. The verb ending -nen could also indicate a form of completeness, that the sentence is hereby finished. Passive phrases such as "I think I love you" could be formed in a way such as "E mirian e thi loriannen", "mirian" being "to think" or in this present case, "thinking", but leading into a passive sentence form. It would not be possible to say "E miriannen", since that means "I'm thinking" and can not lead into a passive sentence structure.

Well, I don't really know where I'm going with this. Certainly there won't be a lot of people speaking this new language. But maybe I'll keep developing as just a sort of hobby project.

The next thing I'll figure out how to say is "You sure are one of a kind" because I keep getting that a lot. :-)


1 Comments:

At 9:39 AM, Anonymous Patrik said...

Feel free to "borrow" as much as you like from the great swedish dialect "Tjörbu" :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Blog contents copyright © 2005 Mats Gefvert. All rights reserved.