This blog has moved. Please update your bookmarks.

Ruby, .NET and IronPython

A while ago, I said that I had made up my mind to learn Ruby. Alas, it did not happen. Instead, I find myself learning C# for the .NET platform. Obviously, a lot of what you learn these days is based on the requirements of your profession which guides you gently (or by brute force, in the case of the Novell Groupwise APIs) into new fields of learning and computation.

The book I bought, .NET Framework Essentials, by Thuan Thai and Hoang Q. Lam, goes deep into the inner guts of the .NET system; and I must say, I am becoming intrigued. It seems like .NET is taking the best of Java, Delphi and COM and combining it into a system that I'm finding myself rather anxious to lay my hands on. I don't think I've felt this way for quite some time; it's like opening the hood and surprisingly finding a totally new and complex machine to play with. All the nuisances of old systems are gone, now there remains only a fully object-oriented Virtual Machine, ripe for hacking around with.

While C# is on the table, I've also gotten an interest in IronPython (Wikipedia article, download). I've always meant to look into Python; it seems like a very interesting scripting language. With the advent of Python for .NET - namely, IronPython, a port headed by Jim Hugunin (now a recent MS employee) - I have a fully qualified scripting tool with which I can explore the inner guts of .NET from a command line. And perhaps the most interesting thing is that IronPython can, with a few lines of code, be embedded into .NET programs.

My only fear now is that I may be crossing over into MS-land for good - I'm rapidly becoming a .NET junkie. My friend and Java proponent Markus may never look at me the same way again. :)

P.S. I wonder if there's a Ruby.NET port?


2 Comments:

At 5:13 PM, Anonymous Markus said...

.NET or Delphi - same closed source, locked up, windows only kind of software. :-)

Ok, there is Mono, but as soon as you want do do something useful, you need bindings that will make it platform dependent anyway.

One day you'll see the light. :)

 
At 2:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ruby.Net: http://www.plas.fit.qut.edu.au/rubynet/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Blog contents copyright © 2005 Mats Gefvert. All rights reserved.